Vintage Industrial Farmhouse {tool storage}{35}

In case you were looking for an update on the sick girl – she’s mostly better.  She was lucky? enough to get sick just before a long weekend so she hasn’t missed as much school as she might have.  I thought she would go back to school on Tuesday but decided that she needed another day.  It’s all over but the coughing.  I hate how those coughs can linger… Thank you, to everyone who sent her get well wishes on FB, and here on the blog!


As I mentioned, I worked on a project while she watched tons of movies (and very bad kid’s TV) over the weekend.  I’ve had this one cooking around in my head for a long time now.  It kind of started when I took this picture of my dining room at Christmas in 2012.  Over a year ago!

Christmas Calm

See that cabinet in the far corner?  When I looked at this picture I thought, “that cabinet needs to be painted….”.  I also realized that 95% of what was in there (all glassware) had no personal meaning for me and I sold it all (except the other 5%) in the barn sale we had this fall.

There was a little hesitation about painting the wood…but that all went away when someone kicked a ball in the house and broke the glass front.  I knew that I wasn’t going to pay to replace the glass…and so I kind of felt like I could do whatever I wanted with it.

Do you want to see what it looks like now?

Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Makeover

What do you think?

Can you tell I have a thing for red metal tool boxes?  One of those is wood – a Christmas present from my mom.  A few years ago I bought a big Craftsman tool chest for Mr. Social Media as a birthday present.  Well, this is my own version. This one fits right in inside the house.  It’s kind of like a… His and Hers…. or maybe this is the Junker’s version…

Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Makeover

his and hers?

The inside of the cabinet is painted with Ocean Air by Benjamin Moore.  That’s the same color (and same can of paint) I used in the downstairs bathroom renovation last year.  The outside of the cabinet is painted with Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint in Ironstone.  I used two coats with no surface prep and no bonding agent.  I was pretty sure that I would get a good chippy effect because there was quite a bit of polyurethane on the piece.  I was a little disappointed at the amount of bleed through from the dark stain on the wood but by the time I finished with chipping off the loose paint, it really wasn’t that noticeable.

I am totally in love with the ability to age a piece so instantly and authentically.  You can distress a piece that you paint with acrylic paint – but it’s not the same.  Sanding (with sandpaper) along the edges and where regular wear might happen just can’t give you this look!

Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Makeover


Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Makeover

So – this does actually serve a useful purpose in our house.  We always, always, have some kind of fix-it project going on.  Lately, there is always this pile of tools on the step in the kitchen.  They just pile up until I get annoyed enough to haul them back out to the garage.  But really?  It’s more convenient to have them right in the house.

Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Makeover

And now I have this perfect vintage industrial style tool chest!  I took these photos in the dining room because that’s where the light was best but I’m looking for a place to put this in the kitchen at some point.  Somehow, tools just seem like a kitchen thing to me…

How about a couple more pretty pictures?

Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Makeover

Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Makeover

Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Makeover

Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Makeover - Ironstone -

Well, I’d really like to hear what you think of the project.  Do you have a piece you’re hesitating to paint?  Have you tried Milk Paint, yet?  I’m so happy I went ahead and painted this cabinet.  One of these days I’ll work up the nerve to tackle the piano!

See you again soon!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...